At the Apple Booth I played with the iPod Touch, and with typical showgoing fervor decided I must have one. It wasn't the first time I'd seen it; I'd already contemplated getting one to use primarily for showing off photos. But the WiFi maps and web browsing just seemed too cool. Ziggy made the point that it would be silly to carry my Treo around along with that. I said I thought I still had a lot of time remaining on my Sprint contract, and I was happy with Sprint and my Treo. But tonight I checked and found my latest agreement actually expired in November, so I should be able to switch without penalty if I want too.
I'm very ambivalent about this:
The cons first:
1. I have no actual need to get either the iPhone or iPod Touch right now; my current smartphone and iPod work just fine, most of the time anyway.
2. The iPhone only holds 8GB and the iPod Touch either 8 or 16, which is a tenth the capacity of the iPod Classic at the same price, and not enough to hold my entire music collection which currently fits (with some room to spare) on my 60GB 5G.
3. Of course I've heard bad things about AT&T's slow network.
4. I probably wouldn't be able to sync my calendar with the Exchange server at work anymore.
5. The iPhone has a recessed headphone jack which would require me to use a cumbersome adapter to attach my headphones.
1. Either device would be awesome for showing off photos.
2. Browsing the web would be somewhat easier and more aesthetically pleasing than on the Treo. (Though using the keyboard isn't as bad as I thought it would be, it would take some getting used to the transition.)
3. Pseudo-GPS for maps and directions is very cool.
4. It's slim and stylish and shiny and all that jazz.
Since I just got a new camera lens and am about to order a Mac Pro, I think I'll put this decision off for awhile longer. But the fact that I'm even pondering an iPhone after not only resisting but outright stating (truthfully) I wasn't interested in the Latest Apple Toy for all this time, this is a curious development.