- Fruit salad with a zillion kinds of fruit (the only thing Ziggy lets us eat before dinner)
- Tofurkey with cherry and onion relish, roasted with potatoes, onions, and carrots
- Mashed potatoes with awesome gravy (recipe below)
- Cranberry sauce (I insist on the jellied kind because I love how it retains the shape and ridges of the can and goes *splorp* when it comes out. It's a Julie-thing.)
- Pumpkin pie (I always make this myself)
Ziggy has threatened to make some kind of green vegetable side dish this year, other than the peas we sometimes have. I told him I'm fine with the entire meal being shades of brown. It's not a health food day.
Here's that gravy recipe:
Nutritional Yeast Gravy
from Vegan Nutrition by Michael Klaper
Yields 2 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups stock or water
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup tahini
1/8 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
3 tablespoons tamari
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Combine the stock, nutritional yeast and tahini in a blender; blend at medium speed for a minute. Add the remaining ingredients; blend well at high speed. Add more liquid to thin, or tahini to thicken. Season to taste.
Pour gravy into medium sized saucepan; place over low heat and cook until warmed, stirring constantly.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!