Everything's better with garlic!
Happy World Vegetarian Day, and welcome to my contribution to VeganMoFo 2012! I'll be posting entries about vegan food every weekday this month, alongside hundreds of other vegan and vegan-friendly bloggers around the world.
By way of introduction, for those new to my blog: I'm a 42-year-old woman currently living in the wonderful city of San Francisco. I've followed a vegetarian diet for over twenty years, and a vegan diet for about a year and a half. I defined what I mean by vegan and why I eat the way I do in this earlier blog entry, and will discuss these choices more over the coming month. In brief, I initially stopped eating meat due to concerns about the treatment of animals on factory farms and the environmental damage caused by same. Those concerns extended to include animals raised for dairy and eggs, ultimately leading me to remove those foods from my diet as well.
I've never been a vegetarian or vegan strictly for health reasons, and nowadays it's nearly as easy to live on junk food as a vegan as it is as an omnivore, especially in cities like San Francisco. My current and preferred diet is starch-centered and low in fat. I also get plenty of exercise, primarily running; I compete in road races regularly. This lifestyle keeps me healthy and fit without feeling hungry or deprived.
Throughout the month I'll be sharing recipes, cooking tips, and photos of food, as well as writing about the food distribution groups I volunteer with: Food Not Bombs, the Free Farm, and the Free Farm Stand. For now, here are some resources with information about my preferred diet and plenty of recipes:
The Free McDougall Program
- Summary of the starch-centered, lowfat diet style I prefer. Includes recipes. For those interested, all of the essentials are explained here; no need to buy any of the books unless you want even more detailed information and recipes. Many more free recipes available on the site.
The McDougall Program: 12 Days to Dynamic Health (Plume)
- My favorite of the McDougall books, and my initial introduction to the program.
The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good!
- Most recent of the McDougall books.
Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
- My most recent cookbook acquisition. Contains all McDougall-compliant recipes. Many more recipes available free on the Happy Herbivore web site.
Fat Free Vegan Recipes
- Not all technically fat-free, but oil-free. Hundreds of free recipes.
Jeff Novick, RD
- Vegan nutritionist. Currently most active on Facebook and the McDougall discussion forums. Very responsive to questions.
Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings---And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally
- More delicious recipes, and advice for dealing with common food cravings.